This policy and information regarding use and access applies only to these specific wireless laptops available for checkout at the Circulation Desk.
Wireless Access and Coverage
To access the network/Internet/e-mail, users must be in an area of wireless coverage. Most of Mullins Library now has wireless coverage.
The campus wireless network is changing. Mullins Library now offers two options for wireless connections:
- UA Wireless
Open to all after inputting an email address.
This connection is the default service that your device will usually attempt to access first.
The UA Wireless service allows most web browsing activities. May not support some specialized services such as SSH, FTP, etc.
- UA Secure
Open only to to current UARK students, faculty, and staff with their UARK username and password.
Provides improved security and protection for users and the university, as well as unlimited access to online services.
Read the connection instructions for UA Secure.
Some parts of campus still use the older UA-WLAN wireless service. Set up instructions for UA-WLAN can be found on the ITS web site.
- UA students, faculty and staff with a valid University ID
- Borrowers are required to accept responsibility for the laptop by signing a laptop registration agreement.
Checkout, Time Limits, and Availability
- Checkout is through the Mullins Circulation Desk
- Checkout is on first-come, first serve basis, no reserves or renewals
- Loan period is three hours
- Laptops must be returned 1 hour before library closing
Fines and Liability
- Overdue laptops accrue a fine of $10.00 per hour, or any portion thereof
- The borrower is responsible for any loss or damage to the laptop
- A replacement charge of up to $3000 may be assessed for loss or damage
- Questions? about invoices-Contact the Circulation Department at 479-575-4104
Saving Your Work
It is important to save your work to media of your control prior to checking in the laptop (work will not be saved or remain on the laptop once it is checked in). Options for saving include:
- Save your work to a thumb drive (USB Flash Drive).
- Login to your UARK account at UAMail and access your MyDocs folder.
More info on accessing your MyDocs Folder.
- Email the work (files) to your e-mail account.
- Mount a drive to your MyDocs account.
- If you can not make a connection to the network to save your work, see the lab manager at the Service Desk.
Printing Your Work
- Make sure you are in an area of wireless coverage
- Print will output to the General Access Computing Lab (GACL) printer
Hints for Laptop Use
- The computer should be turned off and placed in its collapsed or folded position any time that it is to be moved.
- Do not plug in or unplug an external device such as a mouse unless the computer and the external device are both turned off.
- Do not expose it to any magnetic fields that could damage the contents of the hard disk. Neither the University Information Technology Services (ITS) Department nor the Library is responsible for files remaining on the disk once a laptop is returned by the user, or for any loss of or damage to a user's files as a consequence of use of the laptop.
Do not leave laptop computers or any other valuable unattended in the library. The library is not responsible for lost or stolen laptops.
Technical support and assistance with applications software should be directed to the Lab Operator who is available during library hours at the main service desk located on the Lobby Level.
Questions regarding the lending services of the laptops may be directed to the Circulation Desk at 479-575-4104.