Collection News: April 2005
- API: Arkansas Publications Index
- Life and Times of Jorge Luis Borges
- Plant Management Network
- Lexis Nexis Company Dossier and Country Analysis
- IEEEXplore version 2.0 Launched
- GeoScienceWorld Trial
The Libraries are pleased to announce the launch of the new Arkansas Publications Index (API) at http://arkindex.uark.edu.
What is API?
A developing database of citations to information in selected magazines, county history journals, books, and other Arkansas publications.
This database began with entries from Arkansas Periodical Index, which indexed 55 periodical titles for the years 1981-1985, with additional entries prepared by personnel in the Reference and Special Collections departments of the University of Arkansas Libraries.
The articles and other entries indexed were published in county history journals (from Benton County Pioneer to White County Heritage), selected statewide magazines (from Arkansas Banker to Rural Arkansas), and selected book titles (such as Arkansas Biography and Governors of Arkansas). Dates covered by the initial 35,000 entries range from the 1880s to 2000.
Now researchers from around the state - or around the world - can search or browse for book and article citations on everything Arkansas.
Send your comments and suggestions on this developing resource to:
The Life and Works of Jorge Luis Borges: A Digital Database is an important new research collection for students of literature and language. This database originates from the Jorge Luis Borges Collection and Documentation Center of the Fundacin San Telmo, which contains the world's largest collection of materials related to Borges' life and works. The collection was begun in 1986 and includes manuscripts and letters, books, periodicals, photographs, audio and video recordings, newspaper and magazine clippings, and other objects and documents. The database provides access to a wide range of materials on Borges, including those that are rare or appeared in unindexed national and provincial newspapers and journals.
The database is composed of several sections:
- "Obra" provides an index to the text of the entire corpus of Borges' works. Because of copyright restrictions, the texts themselves are not included, but with the information provided by the database, students and scholars will be able to find them.
- Also in "Obra" and "Libros," a complete primary bibliography of more than 2,800 entries, listing Borges' works. The bibliography includes very rare and unpublished texts, and English translations where they exist.
- "Critca," a large indexed secondary bibliography,including articles about Borges, interviews, criticism and news that appeared in the press. Currently there are more than 5,000 entries, from 1923 to present. These records are the result of indexing more than 2,000 books, 1,600 periodicals and several thousand newspaper clippings. Sources include foreign books, newspapers, and journals, and they also contain those publications dealing with the historically important reception of Borges in the United States and France.
- "Chronologia" offers a chronology of Borges' life, with photographs and illustrations.
UA researchers now have access to the Plant Management Network (PMN), a cooperative resource formed from the efforts of academic, industry, and research society partners, such as the American Society of Agronomy, the American Phytopathological Society and the Weed Science Society of America. PMN includes:
- full text journals such as Applied Turfgrass Science, Crop Management, Forage and Grazinglands, and Plant Health Progress
- an images database of more than 2,000 photos of field crops, fruits, vegetables, trees, ornamentals, and tropical plants
- information on soybean rust
- variety trials
- a Plant Science Database that indexes web resources as well as journals hosted on the site
This month, try out these new services from Lexis Nexis. You can access them under the "Business" menu in Lexis Nexis Academic.LexisNexis Company Dossier provides current data on 13 million companies. It collects information from multiple sources and compiles that information into a comprehensive but easily-assimilated report on a targeted company. Each company report delivers information that would require more than 60 searches using traditional search methods.
To create a report, search by company name or ticker symbol from the home page of LexisNexis Academic, or perform more complex searches using an advanced search form. Results are targeted, reliable, easy-to-read information, presented in a format you select:
- Snapshot-at-a-glance analysis of current information
- In the news-sorted by top publication, topic, or region
- Business Information-research & analysis reports, company profiles, and competitor, product, and brand listings
- Financial Information-SEC filings, corporate financials, and more
- Legal Information-U.S. court decisions, jury verdicts, and more
- Intellectual Property Information-U.S. & European patents, and U.S. trademarks & copyrights
- Business Monitor International
- Euromonitor - coming soon!
- Political Risk Service
- U.S. Government
- World Markets Research Centre
Trial Ends: 5/5/2005. Send your comments about Lexis Nexis: Company Dossier and Country Analysis to Donna DANIELS, librarian for Business.
IEEE has released a new itnerface for the IEEE / IEL Xplore system. IEEEXplore allows researchers to retrieve more than 1,137,000 documents, including IEEE standards, journals, magazines, newsletters, and conference proceedings.
Some of the features of the new interface include:
- Table of Contents Alerts
Receive email notification when new issues of the journals and magazines you select are posted online.
- What’s New
See the newest content added to IEEE Xplore over the previous four weeks
- Forthcoming Articles
Access IEEE articles that have been accepted for publication and posted online before they are available in print. These articles have passed through all editorial processes, including peer review. Get early access to this valuable content online.
- Downloadable Citations
Within AbstractPlus records or search results, subscribers and IEEE Members can use bibliographic management software, such as EndNote or RefWorks. Version 2.0 alows you to save multiple citations at the same time.
- 30 leading geoscience journals from 22 scholarly societies
- the GeoRef index to geology literature; with updates scheduled weekly
- hyperlinks to and from journals from HighWire Press journals, GeoRef, ISI's Web of Science, CrossRef, and Medline
- searching across all GSW journals and all of GeoRef simultaneously
- map coordinates for geography-based searching in GeoRef
- map and image links to the Alexandria Digital Library
- bibliographic references can be downloaded to various citation managers, including file formats for EndNote, Reference Manager, ProCite, and BibTex
- individuals who complete a free registration form on the site may sign-up for a variety of email alerts - notification of publication of a new issue, copies of tables of contents, notification of new content available as specified by author and/or keyword, reporting of corrections to previously published papers, and notice that a paper has been cited by another author
- the literature may be graphically browsed using the "TopicMap" data-visualization tool