- Libraries Home
- Reference Department
- Chat with a reference librarian live 24/7
- Text a Librarian
- Email your question to a reference librarian
- Browse research help and handouts
- Get help citing your sources
- Contact your subject librarian for advanced research help
- View upcoming open instruction sessions
- Request a library instruction class or individual consultation
- Other services and departments
The Reference Department supports the diverse information needs of the University and community. Reference librarians assist patrons with their research and provide assistance in finding information at the reference desk, by telephone, email, chat, and letter. As instructors committed to information literacy, reference librarians conduct library instruction sessions for the students and faculty on campus to assist them in identifying, using, and assessing critically the valuable resources offered by the Libraries. The Department also offers tours to community groups and visitors as resources permit.
The Department is integrated with two overlapping services of the Libraries: the subject specialists program and the departmental libraries. Subject specialists offer expert research consultations to individuals and groups, as well as instruction to classes in particular disciplines; they select resources and help manage the collections of the Libraries, which support research, teaching, and reference itself. Although the University Libraries embrace a centralized model of reference, the departmental libraries play a critical reference role and the Reference Department facilitates the smooth referral of specialized reference transactions throughout the Libraries to provide patrons with seamless service.