Bauxite Historical Association and Museum Register
Manuscript Collection 1657
- Special Collections Department
University of Arkansas Libraries
- 365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: (479) 575-8444
Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Jill Knoke-Staggs, 2012.
Finding Aid is written in English.
- Descriptive Summary
- Historical Sketch
- Scope and Content Note
- Arrangement of the Papers
- Detailed Description of the Collection
|Creator:||Bauxite Historical Association and Museum|
|Title:||Bauxite Historical Association and Museum Register|
|Extent:||.1 linear feet (1 box)|
|Repository:||Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries|
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
Restrictions Apply: The Accession Book is for reference purposes only and may not be photocopied.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
The Bauxite Historical Association and Museum Register was donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, on July 14, 2005, by Melba Shepard of Bauxite, Arkansas.
Processed by Jill Knoke-Staggs; completed in June 2012.
Preferred Form of Citation
Bauxite Historical Association and Museum Register (MC 1657), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.
See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.
The Bauxite Historical Association and Museum, formerly the Bauxite Community Hall, is located in Bauxite, Saline County, Arkansas. In 1903, Pittsburg Reduction opened a bauxite ore mining plant in Saline County Arkansas, establishing the town of Bauxite. The plant, later incorporated under the name Aluminum Company of America, or ALCOA, became a supplier of much-needed aluminum for arms production in World War II. Miners numbered 7,000 at its peak. With the growth of the community reaching nearly 15,000, employees of Pittsburg Reduction erected the Community Hall in July of 1925. The Community Hall housed a library, masonic lodge, dance hall and meeting room for Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. The plant was shut down in 1986 and ownership of the hall was transferred to the Alcoa Employees and Descendants Association. That year the library room was converted to a museum and the doors were officially opened. This association and museum collaboration was later renamed the Bauxite Historical Association and Museum.
Materials in this collection include a listing of items that have been donated or loaned to the museum since its opening in 1986. This listing is a copy of a typed list created from a handwritten log. Pages have been added in three submissions ranging from 2005 to 2008. Updates are added as received.
Materials are arranged by date.
The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection
|Box 1||Folder 1||Accession Book, 1986-2008
END OF COLLECTION