Camp Joyzelle Materials
Manuscript Collection 1932
- Special Collections Department
University of Arkansas Libraries
- 365 N. McIlroy Avenue
Fayetteville, Arkansas 72701-4002
Phone: (479) 575-8444
Machine-readable finding aid encoded in EAD by Valerie Robertson, 2012.
Finding Aid is written in English.
- Descriptive Summary
- Historical Sketch
- Scope and Content Note
- Arrangement of the Papers
- Detailed Description of the Collection
|Title:||Camp Joyzelle Materials|
|Extent:||.3 linear feet (1 box)|
|Repository:||Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries|
Please call (479) 575-8444 or email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance of your arrival to ensure availability of the materials.
Restrictions Apply: Researchers must obtain permission from the Rogers Historical Museum before quoting or exhibiting the Joyzelle Jabbers and correspondence from Linda Leiper Cummings.
No Interlibrary Loan.
Standard Federal Copyright Laws Apply (U.S. Title 17).
The Camp Joyzelle Materials were donated to the Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, on January 25, 2012 by the Camp Joyzelle Book Committee of Little Rock, Arkansas.
Processed by Valerie Robertson; completed in March 2012.
Preferred Form of Citation
Camp Joyzelle Materials (MC 1932), Special Collections Department, University of Arkansas Libraries, Fayetteville.
See Special Collections Citation Guide for more detailed information on how to cite specific documents from the collection.
Camp Joyzelle, a summer camp for “well-to-do” girls, operated for nearly three decades at Monte Ne, Benton County, Arkansas. The camp was founded by Iris Armstrong in June of 1923. Armstrong named the camp “Joyzelle” for the heroine of poet and playwright Maurice Maeterlinck’s 1903 play, Joyzelle.
Armstrong’s goal was to start a camp where girls could be instructed in drama and the arts and also enjoy outdoor activities. Campers ranged in ages from eight to seventeen and participated in activities including swimming, canoeing, hiking, horseback riding, playing tennis, dancing, and acting. William H. “Coin” Harvey, the founder of Monte Ne, had a good relationship with the Camp until his death in 1936. Camp programs were often given at Harvey’s amphitheater, sometimes with him in attendance.
After Armstrong retired in 1956, Camp Joyzelle continued under the ownership of Mary Powell. Camp Joyzelle closed in 1962, when the Army Corps of Engineers acquired the land to construct Beaver Lake.
Materials in this collection include camp histories, correspondence, yearbooks, promotional materials, newsletters,and newspaper clippings.
Materials are arranged by topic.
The following contains a detailed list of the materials in the collection
|Box 1||Folder 1||Camp Joyzelle History Materials, 1959-1970, n.d.
|Box 1||Folder 2||Correspondence, 1930-2000
|Box 1||Folder 3||Camp Joyzelle Yearbooks, 1957-1958
|Box 1||Folder 4||Camp Joyzelle Promotional Materials, 1920-1960
|Box 1||Folder 5||Joyzelle Jabber Newsletter, 1927, n.d.
|Box 1||Folder 6||Camp Joyzelle Reunion Materials, 1934-2007
|Box 1||Folder 7||Camp Joyzelle Newspaper Clippings, 1932-1960
|Box 1||Folder 8||A History of Camp Joyzelle
Photographs, 1920-2007 (Printouts and CD)
|Box 1||Folder 9||Camp Joyzelle General Materials, 1936, 2011
END OF COLLECTION